It is a common sight to see a dog inside a car in a parking lot. Maybe, he’s barking a warning to stay clear or his tail is wagging, excited that someone is willing to exchange a greeting. We go about our business and think nothing of the dog in the car. Do we really know how long that dog has been in the car, a few minutes, an hour, more than an hour? The dog waits for his owner to come back, but they can’t defend themselves against the heat. On a hot summer day, the temperatures inside a car can quickly reach 120 degrees or even higher with the windows slightly down.
In a situation like this what can you do to ensure the dogs safety?
- Take a closer look at the dog and see if it displays any of the following signs as these could be symptoms of heat stress;
- Heavy panting
- glazed eyes
- rapid pulse
- laying stretched out on the seat not moving
- deep red or purple tongue.
- If you are unsure of these signs, go back into the store and tell them about the dog. The store might be able to send a message over a loudspeaker to the owner of the dog.
- The police can be called if the dog is in grave danger.
Dogs deserve to be treated with care and compassion, If you are unable to take the dog in the store with you, leave your dog at home in the air-conditioned house or under a shade tree in the yard. In order to prevent such tragedies, sometimes animals need humans to step in and help.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”
“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”
- Mark Twain
“Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.”
- Dave Barry
The Best of Dogs Rule Cats Drool
Having Fun While TrainingYour Puppy
On Being Friends with Tasha the Dog
Catch our Current Giveaways
Upcoming at the Blog
Freebie Friday Giveaways – The Dog That Talked To God
Thank you for reading and sharing this post.
- Follow the animals on twitter @dogsrulecats
- like the animals on facebook
- or subscribe by email for all of their antics
- leave us a comment
Contact me by email at; Rebecca@dogsrulecatsdrool.com